January and February are comfort food months in my house. It’s the season for hearty soups and stews, roasted meats and root vegetables, home baked breads and an occasional dessert or three. I’m working on building a new category in my recipe file – Beach Food – good recipes that are not only delicious and filling, better a day or two after they are made, and reasonably healthy…recipes that balance the rich chowders and panko fried seafood that we love with some healthy alternatives. I hate to attach the “healthy” label to recipes because I
usually sometimes pass right over them when I am reading recipes. It so often means “no flavor.”
This white chicken chili recipe meets all the requirements of good beach food. What could be easier and quicker than placing the ingredients in a crockpot and turning it on low for 4-5 hours? Next time I will double the recipe so there are plenty of leftovers for the next day. One jalapeno gave the chili just the right amount of heat for my family’s taste…lots of flavor but not too spicy. It’s easy to adjust to your own degree of heat. Cornbread muffins were the perfect accompaniment.
Be sure to pass lots of topping along with the chili. My favorites are chopped cilantro, grated cheese (sharp cheddar for this meal) sour cream, and salsa. Crushed tortilla chips and lime wedges are good too. This recipe has tons of flavor and yet is low in fat and gluten-free.
The travel bug has bitten me again and I’m starting to think about taking a trip this year. I’m always up for a good adventure and there are so many places to see…the big question is “someplace new” or “revisiting an old favorite.” I stuck around home in 2015 and my family’s big vacation was a week on the Oregon Coast. We loved every minute of it, but when wanderlust kicks in I starting thinking of exotic, distant places. Maybe Germany and Austria…who knows where my research will take me. Planning is always a big part of the fun. What places are on your bucket list?
I found this delicious recipe at Iowa Girl Eats.
- 1lb chicken breasts
- 15oz can great northern beans, drained
- 4oz can chopped green chiles
- 1 - 2 jalapenos, minced (using 1 made for a mild chili)
- 1 shallot or ½ onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- big pinch dried oregano
- 2 cups gluten-free chicken broth
- juice of ½ lime
- ¼ cup milk (any kind, I used unsweetened almond milk)
- 1 Tablespoon gluten-free flour (any kind, I used brown rice flour)
- Toppings: green
- Combine all ingredients except into a 6-quart crock pot then stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours. Remove chicken then shred and place in the refrigerator.
- Whisk together flour and milk in a small dish then drizzle into chili and stir to combine.
- Cover then cook on high for 30 minutes, stir shredded chicken back into chili, and serve with toppings.