I know that local exercise facilities will soon be packed with people sharing the same New Year’s resolution after January 1st, but right at the moment we are still enjoying all the delicious treats made over the past week. I had one more cookie recipe I wanted to try before austerity sets in and am happy to report that this is a recipe I’ll be making year around. I guess that Andes Peppermint Crunch has been around for a few years, but it’s new to me and I’m as enthusiastic about it as I was about the Hershey’s Cinnamon Chips I was addicted to last Christmas. Chocolate and peppermint are a flavor combination made in heaven.
I don’t have any particular New Year’s resolution on my list this year, just a recommitment to continue the hum-dinger resolution I made last year. Since last January 1st I have been doing water aerobics at the local pool for an hour a day, four days a week. I’m missed only the days I have been away on vacation. I know it’s something I should have started years ago, but I started it in 2014 and I feel like a new person. I swam at my usual time yesterday, Friday, December 26, and I was the only person in the pool. I had to laugh because I know that in a week there will be so many people in the pool it will be difficult to do my routine. That crush should last about a month and then life will settle back to normal. I’m sure every gym in the city will be the same way.
If you love chocolate as much as I do I know you will love these cookies. The dough has a rich chocolate flavor that is made even more intense by the addition of semi-sweet chocolate chips. The Andes Peppermint Crunch is mixed into the dough and I saved out just enough to sprinkle on top of the unbaked cookies. You could substitute white chocolate chips but I say “go for it” and get that luscious blast of chocolate. A little drizzle of powdered sugar glaze makes them party worthy. The recipe I used is the one on the Peppermint Crunch bag.
2014 has been a happy and productive year for me and I’m hoping for more of the same in 2015. No big trips planned…just small ones to enjoy the beautiful state I live in. There is so much to see right here. I hope all my blogger friends had a very Merry Christmas and will enjoy a happy and healthy 2015. Happy Blogging days ahead for us all.
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cups baking cocoa
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package (10 oz) Andres Peppermint Crunch Baking Chips
- 1 4-oz bar semi-sweet chocolate, cut into chunks, or ½ cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350º and line cookie sheets with parchment or silpat liners.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Sift cocoa and add to flour mixture. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla and mix until well combined.
- Stir in flour mixture until just combined. Mix in Peppermint Crunch chips and chocolate chips.(Save out a few peppermint chips if you want to sprinkle them on the tops of the cookies)
- Using a medium cookie scoop, drop cookies onto prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes. Cookies will still be soft in the middle. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.