A lot of fancy cooking and baking is going on this week in preparation for Christmas and New Year’s Day, and I love and wait for all the special dishes that are on the menu in the next few days. But somewhere along the way, when you think to yourself “oh gosh, another rich dish” it’s nice to have a recipe that is festive and delicious and healthy too. I recently found this salad recipe on PROUD ITALIAN COOK and probably wouldn’t have given it a second look if my friend, Marie, hadn’t recommended it so highly. We like kale and brussel sprouts but the thought of eating them raw didn’t do anything for me at all. The salad definitely looked festive and appetizing and if Marie recommended it…well, it had to be good.
Marie said she could eat this salad every day and I”m following right in her footsteps. I’m spending Christmas this year in Chicago with my daughter and family and we made this Kale and Brussel Sprout Salad the day after I arrived. It was so good we are making it again to include in tomorrow’s Christmas dinner. It’s just plain addictive. The first time we followed the recipe and used almonds and Parmesan cheese and this time we are going to add feta cheese and roasted hazelnuts…just to change it up a bit.
This is a short post because I need to be in the kitchen…it’s Christmas Eve after all… but I wanted to share this recipe because it is so good and is a great change of pace from all the rich food we will consume in the next few days. It’s delicious the second day too so don’t worry about making too much.
My daughter has a Pampered Chef Party right after Thanksgiving every year and this year I bought their new little salad dressing shaker for vinaigrettes. It went right to the top of my favorite kitchen gadget list because it does it all…ingredients are added to the jar and the whisk plunger emulsifies everything in a few seconds. The dressing can be stored in the jar…it has a handy, dripless pour spout…and whisked for a second before use to blend all the ingredients. The lid can be turned to move the pour area to the side and store the dressing. Quick, easy and mess-less.
BEST WISHES FROM MY HOUSE TO YOURS FOR A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS
AND A HEALTHY AND HAPPY NEW YEAR
- 1 bunch Tuscan kale, chopped with stems removed
- ½ pound brussel sprouts, sliced thin or shredded in a food processor
- ¼ cup carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1 large celery stalk, thinly sliced
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup Marcona almonds
- ¾ cup Parmesan cheese, coarsely grated
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 or 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- a pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Place chopped kale, shredded brussel sprouts, carrots, celery, dried cranberries and almonds into a large bowl. Sprinkle with almonds and grated cheese.
- Whisk olive oil, lemon, garlic, red pepper and Dijon mustard together in a small separate bowl, then toss with the kale and sprout mixture, adding more cheese and olive oil if needed. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate.