Snickersnaps…aka Gingerdoodles

As much as I enjoy all the fancy holiday baking I like plain cookies best.   Most of my everyday cookie baking consists of chocolate chip cookies, sugar cookies, snickerdoodles and gingersnaps…tasty and basic.  We needed some freshly baked cookies so I got the bright idea to fancy up my usuals and combine SNICKERDOODLE dough and GINGERSNAP dough into something new…a SNICKERSNAP.  I was elated to think that I had actually thought of something NEW AND EXCITING…who’s ever heard of a snickersnap or a gingerdoodle?  But I thought I better google it to be sure and, wouldn’t you know, somebody else had this great idea first.  I had never met BAKERGIRL and was so very happy to find her blog. I know I will visit her often when I’m looking for new baking ideas.  I decided to go with her cookie recipes..what the heck!… and was so glad I did.  This delicious cookie has just the right ratio of crispy edges and soft and chewy center.
 DELICIOUS is all I can say!

My family put this cookie through a grueling taste test and sampled a lot of them to be sure about their verdict.  Everybody LOVED it.  There is just something about the snickerdoodle, gingersnap combo that works.  Buttery vanilla – spice gingersnap…magic!  I couldn’t figure out how to put these two recipes into my recipe plugin so you will just have to copy and paste if you want to print it.  I hope you try this fantastic recipe.  I bet it becomes a favorite in your family too.

SNICKERSNAPS

SNICKERDOODLE DOUGH

• 1/2 cup butter
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla  (I used the seeds from 1/2 vanilla bean)
  • 1-1/2 cups flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon
  • 3 tablespoons sugar

Cream together butter and sugar.  Add egg and vanilla and mix well, until creamy.  Add flour, baking soda, salt, and cream of tartar and mix until combined. Combine cinnamon and 3 tablespoons sugar in a small bowl and set aside for coating the formed dough.

GINGERSNAP DOUGH

• 3/4 cup butter
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup molasses
  • 1 egg
  • 2 cups flour (I used 2-1/2 cups)
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon cloves
  • 1 teaspoon ginger
  • 1/4 cup sugar for coating cookies

Cream together butter and sugar.  Add molasses and egg and continue beating.  Add flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves and ginger.  Put 1/4 cup sugar in small bowl and set aside.

Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly grease a baking sheet (or line with silpat or parchment).  Set aside.

Roll a small amount of gingersnap dough into a ball and toss in sugar.  Roll a small amount of snickerdoodle dough into a ball and coat with sugar.  Press both dough balls together and smush a little bit to form a ball.  Don’t over mix so the colors stay separate.

Place cookies on a baking sheet and bake for 9 to 11 minutes.  Remove from oven and allow to cool on baking sheet for 3 minutes before moving to a cooling rack.

When I try a new recipe I  usually do a trial run of a cookie or two to  make sure the cookie holds its shape.  The gingersnap dough wasn’t firm enough for my taste so I added an additional 1/2 cup of flour.  That extra few minutes to experiment can make a big difference in the way your recipe turns out.

*****

TRADITIONAL HAND ROASTED CINNAMON GLAZED ALMONDS, HAZELNUTS AND PECANS   ARE AVAILABLE FOR YOUR CHRISTMAS GIFT GIVING AT THE BAVARIAN NUT COMPANY ONLINE STORE.  YOU WILL ALSO FIND PREMIUM QUALITY OREGON HAZELNUTS IN A VARIETY OF FORMS;  DRY ROASTED, CHOPPED, AND TOASTED HAZELNUT FLOUR/MEAL IN ADDITION TO WHOLE, ALL NATURAL NUTS.  YOU CAN ALSO PICK UP A WIVES WITH KNIVES CHEF APRON FOR YOUR FAVORITE COOK.   TO GET THERE JUST CLICK ON THE LINK OR ON THE NUTCRACKER BANNER AT THE TOP RIGHT OF THIS PAGE.

This post is linked to Foodie Friday at Rattlebridge Farm
Friday Food Frenzy at Close to Home
Seasonal Sunday at The Tablescaper
and On the Menu Monday at Stonegable

Comments

1. Lynda says

We personally prefer our everyday cookie recipes too, with snickerdoodles being one of our top favorites. What a great idea for a cookie Cathy! I love both of these cookies, but never thought of combining them.
    Lynda recently posted..Russian Tea Cakes (Cookies)My Profile

2. Heather @girlichef says

This is definitely a brilliant combo – two of my personal favorites together.
    Heather @girlichef recently posted..Gingerbread Pumpkin BarsMy Profile

3. Eileen says

Oh, that sounds fun and delicious. I’m going to pin these so I can try them later this month. I’m so longing for my holiday break when all I have to do is wrap gifts and cook and bake. :)
    Eileen recently posted..The beauty of new arrivals…My Profile

4. Sophie says

What delightfully & appetizing looking cookies! I need a few right now! thanks for this tasty recipe! yum Yum Yum!

5. Rhonda (@diningalone) says

What an awesome idea, I am craving a gingerbread latte and this cookie sounds almost like that drink in cookie form! Thanks for sharing this new idea.
    Rhonda (@diningalone) recently posted..The Best Thing I Ever Made – SeafoodMy Profile

6. Susan says

Cathy, I think you have a winner. I love both cookies and together…wow. As I slap my forehead…”Now why didn’t I think of that?”
    Susan recently posted..La Salle à Manger in ProvenceMy Profile

7. bellini says

This combine 2 of my favourites for the simple cookies we love too.
    bellini recently posted..Celebrating Family Traditions with Tourtière AppetizerMy Profile

8. Bonnie says

I actually like plain cookies the best as well. We all love snickerdoodles and gingersnaps so the combination must be wonderful. Here’s a shopping tip: Costco has a great price on vanilla beans. Ten in two tubes for under $10.00.

Bonnie recently posted..Sweet and Spicy NutsMy Profile

9. Karen (Back Road Journal) says

I think I’m probably one of the few people who has never eaten a Snickerdoodle but I do love gingersnaps. I like the look of the two toned cookies…I bet they are delicious.
    Karen (Back Road Journal) recently posted..Comfort And Joy Of The Holiday SeasonMy Profile

10. Linda says

I am such a cookie monster, so you better believe these are going to appear at my house. At one time there was a neighbor German lady who every week made snickerdoodles and was good enough to share so those became a favorite. Add that to a gingersnap….I’m in heaven.
    Linda recently posted..To the Table!My Profile

11. Sue/the view from great island says

Brilliant! I think you’ve coined a new holiday classic. I’ve always thought of snickerdoodles as a little dull, but you’ve fixed that!
    Sue/the view from great island recently posted..The Classic Chocolate TruffleMy Profile

12. Lea Ann (Cooking on the Ranch) says

Great idea Cathy. Not being a baker, everyday and cookie just have never been prevalent words here. Your pictures make me wish I could bake.
    Lea Ann (Cooking on the Ranch) recently posted..Stuffed Date Appetizer, Wrapped In BaconMy Profile

13. Mrs. Magpie says

I just polished off some ginger snaps, and your combo sounds delicious! That’s a cute name, too.

XO,

Sheila
    Mrs. Magpie recently posted..BIG NEWS! I Just Got Word From England That Catherine, the Duchess of Cambridge is pregnant!My Profile

14. Foodiewife says

When I saw the title of your recipe, I was excited. I love Snickerdoodles and Gingersnaps (and my husband doesn’t). However, I might change his mind with this cookie. I love it when I get this brilliant recipe idea, and then find out that I’m not the only one to “invent” it. Still, I’m glad you had the idea. These look fantastic. I agree with you– fancy cookies are impressive (and I just don’t have the talent for making them), but a simple delicious cookie is just right for me.
    Foodiewife recently posted..Chocolate Cake with Raspberry Cream and Chocolate Fluff Frosting – And Four Years of Blogging!My Profile

15. Penny says

They look delicious Cathy. I am baking cookies today. Pretty pictures too.
    Penny recently posted..Massachusetts Corn MuffinsMy Profile

16. Angie@Angie's Recipes says

I love these cookies. A brilliant combo!
    Angie@Angie’s Recipes recently posted..Peanut Butter Spelt Homemade Stamped CookiesMy Profile

17. Sam @ My Carolina Kitchen says

I think you make the prettiest cookies on the internet Cathy. Another winner.
    Sam
    Sam @ My Carolina Kitchen recently posted..Winter Salad with Roasted Squash, Potatoes, & Pomegranate Seeds over ArugulaMy Profile

18. Susan says

I couldn’t agree more – the simplest cookies are my favorites – I actually dislike frosted cookies. I know I’d love these!

19. Cindy says

I’m with ya on the plain cookies. As much as I love chocolate, I’ve been known to make a few chocolate chip cookies without chips just for me. The frosted decorated ones are still fun to create, and so pretty for gifts… Check out my latest post for more on that. Happy holidays Cathy!

20. Jeannie says

I too like plain cookies best, no dressing up to mess up the original taste of the cookie itself….these combination of snickersnaps looks delicious!
    Jeannie recently posted..Ayam Golek Pekan (Roast Chicken) – MFF PahangMy Profile

21. Karen says

A perfect combination of two favorite cookies!
    Karen recently posted..Pumpkin Scones with Spiced Glaze (like Starbucks)My Profile

22. Erin @ Making Memories says

I just love these cookies! I love how they look and they were so delicious! The best of both worlds =o) Thanks so much for sharing (even though the kids at all of them!)
    Erin @ Making Memories recently posted..SnickerdoodlesMy Profile

23. Jacqueline says

Oh, you are so clever to put these two yummy cookies together! I love it and they are so pretty that way too. Wonder which side I would eat first!
    Jacqueline recently posted..Winter Wonderland For My BanisterMy Profile

24. Roz says

What a wonderful idea to combine these two favorite cookies! Wish I had read this in time for Christmas, but was so busy with family and hospital visits to my dad, I just couldn’t make my blog rounds nor bake as I would have like to have done. I hope that you had a wonderful Christmas and that you have a Buon Anno . . . Happy New Year, Cathy!

1. […] the Snickerdoodle part. If you want to check out what a Snickersnap is, go to my Mom’s blog, Wives with Knives, to see what they are. But after making this recipe I was pretty excited to eat them make them […]

2. […] Thin & Chewy Gingersnap Cookies Makes about 20 Cookies Originally adapted from Wives With Knives […]