Previous post:

Next post:

IN MEMORIAM

by Cathy on October 19, 2012

Eleanor Mae Stewart
September 27, 1922 – October 11, 2012

My beautiful mother, Eleanor, passed away last week at the age of 90.   We all miss her as we  celebrate her life and remember what a wonderful person she was, how artistically gifted she was, and how much she loved her family.  I want to especially thank Hopewell House Hospice in Portland, Oregon for their loving care and support as our family goes through this experience.

*****

Eleanor Mae Stewart was born in Portland, Oregon on September 27, 1922, and passed away October 11, 2012. She was the first of three children of Elsie Pearl Betz and Rudolph Anthony Zeller. Eleanor was a gifted artist and had the starring role in her Senior Class Play “What a Life” at Jefferson High School in Portland in 1940. She was an accomplished water colorist and studied Ikebana, the art of Japanese flower arranging, for many years and taught classes at the Buddhist Temple in Southeast Portland. She married John Scott Turk in 1942, and they had three daughters, Catherine Farley, Melinda Powell and Terese Turk (deceased). In l963 Eleanor married Clifford T. Stewart and they resided in the Portland area and in Charbonneau for the 47 years of their marriage. Eleanor’s step children are Linda Nelson (Greg) and Bob Stewart (Donna). Eleanor was devoted to her family and was a loving grandmother to Carolyn Farley Kluser, Erin Farley Dobias, John Farley, Kevin Nord (deceased) Ian Powell, Barry Nelson, David Nelson; great-grandmother to Matthew Kluser, Catherine Kluser, Cody Dobias, Eleanor Dobias, Nicholas Nord, Carter Nelson and Sawyer Nelson; and great-great-grandmother to Kemper Matthew Kluser and Penelope Ann Nord (expected arrival Nov. 24).

*****

To stay up to date with the latest recipes and travel posts from Wives with Knives, please subscribe here.

{ 39 comments… read them below or add one }

Pondside October 19, 2012 at 7:49 am

Beautiful, indeed. What a lovely smile!
I’m sorry to read that you have lost your mother’s presence – what a good long life she had, and what a lovely list of family. I am sure your memories must be a comfort to you and your siblings and children but I’m equally sure that you must miss your mother very much.

Cathy October 19, 2012 at 9:19 am

Thank you, Pondsie. Yes, she did have a good life and we have wonderful memories that will live on and bring us a great deal of joy. All this is going to take some time to sink in.
Cathy recently posted..IN MEMORIUMMy Profile

Bonnie October 19, 2012 at 7:54 am

A lovely tribute to a lovely, loving and talented lady. How fortunate that your family is enveloped in such happy memories. I know how comforting and sustaining those memories can be.

Bonnie recently posted..Slow Cooker Loaded Baked Potato SoupMy Profile

Cathy October 19, 2012 at 9:20 am

I agree, Bonnie. She will be a part of her family forever.
Cathy recently posted..IN MEMORIUMMy Profile

Foodiewife October 19, 2012 at 9:15 am

What a lovely tribute to your Mutti. I’m glad to read that she lived a long and blessed life. My thoughts have been with you, since I first read the news. There will be a grieving period, but her memory will live on with all of you. I miss my Mutti, but I know that we will be reunited with them again. Debby
Foodiewife recently posted..Cornmeal and Ricotta WafflesMy Profile

Cathy October 19, 2012 at 9:24 am

Thank you, Debby. She did live a very good life and in her later years memories gave her a great deal of enjoyment. She and I went to Germany at Christmas time years ago and she could remember that trip in detail. She loved stories about the Christmas Market in Nurnberg and the hot spiced wine and sausages we lived on while we were there. We shared some very special times.
Cathy recently posted..IN MEMORIUMMy Profile

teresa October 19, 2012 at 9:46 am

oh cathy, i’m so sorry to hear of your loss. she sounds like such a sweet person, i just love that picture of her. love and thoughts to you and your loved ones.
teresa recently posted..Tex-Mex PinwheelsMy Profile

Cathy October 21, 2012 at 7:52 am

Thank you, Teresa.
Cathy recently posted..West African Chicken-Peanut SoupMy Profile

Larry October 19, 2012 at 9:47 am

Sorry for your loss Cathy, but great that you had her for 90 years.
Larry recently posted..Imported Steak & Cheesy PotatoesMy Profile

Cathy October 21, 2012 at 7:52 am

We were so very lucky, Larry. She lived a long, full life and had a family that loved her.
Cathy recently posted..West African Chicken-Peanut SoupMy Profile

ciaochowlinda October 19, 2012 at 9:53 am

I’m so very sorry for your loss and I know how difficult it can be to lose a loved one, no matter how old or how prepared you think you are. She sounds like a very creative woman, and I guess the nut didn’t fall far from the tree. My sincere sympathies.
ciaochowlinda recently posted..FrittatineMy Profile

Erin @ Making Memories October 19, 2012 at 10:17 am

I don’t even know what to write as a comment except that we miss her and always will. Beautiful picture, Mom. I’m thinking of you!
Erin @ Making Memories recently posted..Candy Corn CookiesMy Profile

Carol @ Always Thyme to Cook October 19, 2012 at 11:17 am

Wonderful tribute to your beautiful mom! You have my sincerest sympathies, Cathy. My heart goes out to you and your family, I am so sorry for your loss.
Carol @ Always Thyme to Cook recently posted..Cinnamon Bun Pancakes. Crazy Good.My Profile

Barbara F. October 19, 2012 at 11:35 am

Oh Cathy, I was so sad to read this post. Please accept my sincere condolences. Your mom was a lovely lady. Her suffering is over, and she is whole again. She will never be far from you, either. Your special angel. ((hugs)) xo
Barbara F. recently posted..Blogging friends are the BestMy Profile

nancy merrriman October 19, 2012 at 11:39 am

It is always sad when one loses a parent. She was lovely at age 90 and I deeply feel your loss. My sincere sympathy to you and your family. Wonderful tribute to her. Please accept my condolences.
Nancy Merriman

Rettabug October 19, 2012 at 11:53 am

Cathy, I am so very sorry to hear of your Mother’s passing. No matter what age, we are never really ready to let them go. My heart goes out to you & your entire family as you mourn the loss of this sweet & lovely lady.

Hugs,
Rett
Rettabug recently posted..My Mom’s Pink Depression Glass for Mothers DayMy Profile

cindy October 19, 2012 at 12:38 pm

I’m so sorry. My Dad passed away 7 years ago–I think of him every day.
She must have been a wonderful lady. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
cindy recently posted..Pumpkin Chocolate Cheesecake BarsMy Profile

Monique October 19, 2012 at 1:35 pm

My sympathies..what a beautiful mom you had Cathy.(And have..as I could not have fathomed that my mom was not with me in some ways for the last 40 yrs.. as you will know she is watching over you..)
Thank you for sharing with us..
My thoughts are with you.
Monique recently posted..La Vie En Rose~Trop cute~My Profile

Diana October 19, 2012 at 2:19 pm

I am so sorry for the loss of your mother. Your gratitude for the privilege of sharing such a wonderful mother’s life will help you in your grief. It is so very hard to lose a mom.

Lynda October 19, 2012 at 2:22 pm

What a wonderful tribute to your mother Cathy; she was really beautiful and sounds like she was full of life. I lost my mother almost 6 years ago and it was so difficult to go through and I miss her everyday. Good memories are such a blessing. I’ll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Lynda recently posted..Pecan Pie BarsMy Profile

Susan October 19, 2012 at 2:28 pm

My deepest condolences on the loss of your mother, Cathy. She was a lovely-looking woman with a wonderful smile.
Susan recently posted..Creamy Corn MuffinsMy Profile

Peggy Recker October 19, 2012 at 3:43 pm

I’m sorry to hear about your loss!

Sue/the view from great island October 19, 2012 at 4:01 pm

So sorry to hear of this, Cathy. I can see in your mother’s eyes that she was a happy woman! My thoughts are with you.

Happier Than A Pig in Mud October 19, 2012 at 4:08 pm

I’m so sorry to hear Cathy. This is a very nice tribute, please take care.

Lynn October 19, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Cathy, I am so sorry for your loss. Your mom was a beautiful woman with a great smile. No matter what age we are it’s so hard to lose our moms. I’m glad you have great memories to comfort you.

Marie October 19, 2012 at 7:04 pm

Cathy, so sorry to hear you lost your wonderful mother. My heart goes out to you and your family.
May all your happy memories together comfort you at this time.
xox

Kirsten@ My Kitchen in the Rockies October 19, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Dear Cathy,
I am very sorry to read that you have lost your mother. What a wonderful person she must have been. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Hugs, Kirsten
Kirsten@ My Kitchen in the Rockies recently posted..Pumpkin Cookies with Browned Butter FrostingMy Profile

Betty @ scrambled henfruit October 19, 2012 at 9:54 pm

What a beautiful tribute to your beautiful mom. :) My sincere condolences to you and your family.
Betty @ scrambled henfruit recently posted..Peanut Butter Granola BarsMy Profile

Lea Ann (Cooking on the Ranch) October 20, 2012 at 4:20 am

My sympathies, thoughts and prayers go to you and your family Cathy. What lovely lady she must have been. Hugs. Lea Ann

Judy October 20, 2012 at 6:54 am

I’m sorry for the loss of your mother. She looks and sounds like a beautiful woman.

Sandi from A New York Foodie October 20, 2012 at 7:50 am

So very sorry to hear about the passing of your mom….she looked like such a lovely lady!

Rhonda October 20, 2012 at 3:52 pm

What a nice post, I am so sorry about your loss.
Rhonda recently posted..Favorite Things #38 – My Microplane GraterMy Profile

Liz October 20, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Cathy, my thoughts are with you and your family. I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your beautiful mother. Her spirit and love of life lives on in you and your children…may she RIP. xoxo

Sam @ My Carolina Kitchen October 21, 2012 at 4:27 am

What a lovely tribute to your mother Cathy. I’m sorry I’m late in commenting, but we’ve been on the road visiting old friends and no internet. Your mother has such as lovely outgoing smile. It sounds as if she enjoyed her life and I know she will be sorely missed. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Sam
Sam @ My Carolina Kitchen recently posted..Chicken Dijon ~ Poulet à la MoutardeMy Profile

Julie October 21, 2012 at 5:21 pm

So sorry for your loss. That was a beautiful tribute to your mother!
Julie recently posted..Chinese Cumcumber SaladMy Profile

JG October 22, 2012 at 2:35 pm

My most sincere sympathy to you and your family. This is a beautiful tribute to your mom.
~Judy
JG recently posted..Yummy Butternut Squash BreadMy Profile

Ramona October 30, 2012 at 8:53 am

I tried to get this to come up yesterday, but it kept stalling out.

I am so very sorry to hear about the loss of your mother. I know how hard it was to lose mine. She had a beautiful smile and I’m betting it matched a beautiful heart.

Take care,
Ramona

Sophie November 1, 2012 at 1:12 am

Ooh dear Cathy,
I am so sorry for the loss of your great & beloved mother! :(
She looks like a powerful woman & surely will be missed heaps by all of you & everyone who knew her.
Sophie recently posted..The Virtual Vegan potluck & my recipe in it: Vegan beetroot, pear, gherkin sour veganaise salad with home-made veganaise!My Profile

Cheyenne Renard November 3, 2012 at 11:59 am

I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your great mother. I know she is in Heaven with God and not suffering any more. I know that you will remember her memory every day in all the things she taught you. May you cherish the time you had with her and the age she lived to be 90. That is a great life even though u will miss her no matter what. Again Thank you so much for sharing her with us. May god bless you all and ease your burden Love to you and yours Cheyenne in Henderson Nv . My family lives in Portland and Washington lovily area