With all the fresh fruits and vegetables in the farmers’ market right now there are so many wonderful things to bake I don’t even know where to start. Like everybody else I have an abundance of zucchini thanks to generous neighbors and friends and have prepared it in just about every way imaginable. I must be the last person on the planet to make a chocolate zucchini cake or bread and I finally got around to trying it. Verdict – I like it!
- 2 large eggs
- ⅓ cup honey
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon espresso powder, optional
- ⅓ cup baking or Dutch Process cocoa
- 1-2/3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups shredded, unpeeled zucchini, gently pressed
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F; lightly grease an 8½" x 4½" loaf pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs, honey, oil, sugar, and vanilla until smooth.
- Add the salt, baking soda, baking powder, espresso powder, cocoa, and flour, mixing until well combined.
- Stir in the zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake the bread for 65 to 75 minutes (my loaf took just 60 minutes to bake) until the loaf tests done (a toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center will come out clean, save for perhaps a light smear of chocolate from the melted chips).
- Remove the bread from the oven, and let it cool for 10 to 15 minutes before turning it out of the pan onto a rack.
- Cool completely before slicing; store well-wrapped, at room temperature.
This recipe makes a dense, moist, very chocolate-y bread that isn’t overly sweet and you would never know zucchini is in it if you didn’t see little shreds in the loaf. I added a cup of Scharffen Berger semisweet chocolate baking chunks to the batter and a lot of that wonderful, rich chocolate flavor of the bread came from them. I don’t think this will become my go-to zucchini bread recipe because I love the cinnamon and nut version that I have been making all my adult life, but it was fun to try it and I think chocolate and zucchini are a delicious combination of flavors. What do you think? Do you have a favorite bread or cake recipe?
This post is linked to the fabulous FOODIE FRIDAY at Rattlebridge Farm