Each month Lynn at Happier Than a Pig in Mud selects a different chef to feature in her Celebrity Cook-Along. I was very happy when I read that for July she chose Chef Bobby Flay. I have watched his many shows on the Food Network since he first appeared there in 1994 and the numerous recipes of his that I’ve tried over the years have been excellent.
This has been a very busy week at my house and I needed to select a recipe that would feed a large group and provide leftovers for a day or two. There are many versions of Greek pasta salad around the internet and this is one I particularly like. The flavors are clean and crisp and the grilled shrimp absorb the tangy flavors of the simple vinaigrette. I added a few Kalamata olives but otherwise made the recipe just as Bobby wrote it. This is a super summer dish and the flavors are even better the second day. Sprinkle a little extra crumbled feta on top just before serving, slice up a loaf of crusty bread, open a bottle of wine, and enjoy a lovely summer evening with friends and family.
- ¾ pound orzo, cooked al dente
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded, quartered lengthwise and sliced
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup Kalamata olives, sliced (my addition)
- ¼ cup fresh dill, plus extra for garnish
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- ½ cup olive oil, plus additional for brushing on shrimp
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- ¾ pound feta cheese, crumbled
- 16 medium shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- Combine orzo, cucumber, green onions, tomatoes and olives in a large bowl. Place dill, vinegar and mustard in a blender and blend until smooth. With the motor running, slowly add the olive oil and blend until emulsified. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Pour the vinaigrette over the orzo mixture and stir well to combine. Gently fold in the feta cheese.
- Heat grill to high. Brush shrimp with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill for approximately 2 minutes per side or until just cooked through. Divide orzo salad among 4-6 salad plates and garnish with grilled shrimp.
In addition to joining Lynn’s party at Happier than a Pig in Mud,
I’m linking this post to On the Menu Monday at StoneGable and
Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum.