Luscious Lemon Bars

Here I am once again sharing one of Ina Garten’s wonderful recipes with people who are already know Ina well and use her cookbooks regularly. It just so happens that many of my favorite recipes are Ina’s creations and when I want to make lemon bars, for instance, I wouldn’t dream of searching out a new recipe when I have one that I consider perfect.  ”What makes these bars so special?” you might ask.  The answer is easy…it’s the rich, buttery crust that doesn’t fall apart when the bars are cut, the intense lemon flavor of the silky smooth filling, and the perfect crust to filling ratio.  If you think I might be exaggerating about these bars just click on Ina’s recipe on Food Network and read some of the three hundred five-star reviews.
Lemon Bars
Printable Recipe

For the Crust:
1/2 pound unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 cups flour
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
For the Filling:
6 extra large eggs, room temperature
3 cups granulated sugar
2 tablespoons grated lemon zest (4 to 6 lemons)
1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 cup flour
Confectioners’ sugar for dusting
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
For the crust, cream the butter and sugar until light in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.  Combine the flour and salt and, with the mixer on low, add to the butter until just mixed.  Dump the dough onto a well-floured board and gather into a ball.  Flatten the dough with floured hands and press it into a 9 by 13 by 2 inch baking sheet, building up a 1/2 inch edge on all sides.  Chill.
Bake the crust for 15 to 20 minutes, until very lightly browned.  Let cool on a wire rack.  Leave the oven on.
For the filling, whisk together the eggs, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice and flour.  Pour over the crust and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the filling is set.  Cool to room temperature.  Cut into squares and dust with confectioners’ sugar.
*******
I have wonderful news to share today.  We have been blessed with a new family member
 who arrived yesterday, Valentine’s Day.
Meet Kemper Matthew, born at 6:40 PM on Valentine’s Day.
My granddaughter, Katie, and her sweet baby boy are doing well.

Comments

1. Caroline says

The lemon bars look delicious! I'm so ready for some citrusy treats! And congratulations on the new addition to the family! Best wishes and what perfect timing – a Valentine's Day baby!

2. From the Kitchen says

I left you a comment on FB but can't resist those lemon bars or babies!! Kemper is precious!!!!! Congratulations to all of you!

3. Rosabela says

Congrats on the new addition to your family!! How precious he is. :-)

You got me hooked. I will have to make this recipe soon.

4. Kris says

Hi Cathy. I adore Ina, and have a couple of her books. But I have never made these bars! I made lemon bars, and quite often, as we have a couple lemon trees. Which are producing abundantly I might add. I will give this recipe a go. It is sure to be heavenly!
    Blessings on your new sweet addition to the family!!!

5. Kathy says

Little Kemper is adorable. Bless his little heart. I too, love lemon bars. I'll have to try this recipe as the pictures look absolutely perfect.

6. Happier Than a Pig in Mud says

Hi Cathy! The lemon bars look fantastic and I'm sure taste even better than that, Ina's the best:@) Congrats on the Valentine's surprise!

7. Kathleen says

Congratulations on the new baby! You are a GGma! Can't be!
    The lemon bars look wonderful, and we love seeing how our Cathy makes them! When I meet Ina I will tell her! LOL

8. Lynn says

What a sweet baby! Congratulations on the addition to your family. Those lemon bars look delicious, I think I do have that cookbook of Ina's:-)

9. Rita says

Congratulations;what a blessed event and on Valentine's Day; he willl have a loving life. I have been looking at these lemon bars; thank you so much for sharing your review;I am a lemon Lover.

10. SavoringTime in the Kitchen says

Congratulations, Cathy! What a sweet little bundle :)

Those lemon bars are sweet little bundles too! I've never made Ina's lemon bars but with your recommendation they must be great. I love lemon!

11. Mary says

What a wonderful Valentine's gift for all of you. Kemper is perfect in every way. I hope he and his mother are both doing well. Have a great evening. Blessings…Mary

Many, many congratulatory thoughts – what a wonderful announcement for you!
    The lemon bars look wonderful – between you and Mary, we are in Lemon Heaven.

13. Raina says

These bars look so good. I love anything from Ina and have made many of her recipes over and over.

Congratulations on your little bundle of joy:)

14. teresa says

i'm pretty sure i got a rush on endorphines just from your picture alone. in the words of ina, how good do these look!

congratulations on the new bundle, adorable!

15. Ciao Chow Linda says

Ina's recipes are always winners. Next time I make lemon bars, this is the recipe I'll try. What wonderful news you have. May all his days and yours be filled with joy.

16. Foley says

Lemon bars look fantastic!! Will definitely go into my file.

Congrats on little Kemper…you have to be the youngest great grandmother I have ever seen!!

17. Red Nomad OZ says

Ah, a love child! Congratulations!! And those lemon bars look sensational (although I'll bet mine don't turn out as perfect as yours look!)

Have a great day!

18. My Little Space says

Ooo… congratulations on your new family member, your super sweet grand grandson! What a precious moment to all of you. Pam's grandson was born 4 days before. Btw, those lemon bars are just so irresistible. Thanks for sharing. Hope you're having a fabulous day.
    Cheers, Kristy

19. Anonymous says

Congratulations on your sweet little Valentine's Day gift! How great is that to have a new great grandson to love on the Day of Love? :)
    Ohhh–those lemon bars look absolutely wonderful! I LOVE lemon!!
    Blessings,
    Aimee

20. sophiesfoodiefiles says

MMMMMMM,..tasty looking lemon bras,..full of lemon goodness!

Congrats to the new member of your Family!! What a cute baby!

21. Barbara says

Congratulations to your granddaughter! What a cutie!

And more lemon. I love it and my mouth is puckering just looking at your photo!

22. Diana's Cocina says

Congratulations to your grand-daughter ~ What a beautiful blessing.

Your lemon bars are a favorite in this household. My mouth is watering, mmmm!

23. Vickie says

I just can't believe you're a great-grandma, but how utterly wonderful!! I "heart" the name, Kemper, and love that head of fuzzy baby hair.

Now for those beautiful lemon bars – they sound tangy and delicious and I was needing a good reliable dessert recipe. Thanks!

24. theUngourmet says

Baby Kemper is absolutely perfect and the best Valentine gift ever! ;)

My mom made lemon bars now and then and they were one of my dad's favorite desserts. I've been wanting to make them for years now. This recipe is gorgeous!

25. gnee @ Singing With Birds says

Congratulations on your precious new little great grandson. Oh he is beautiful! I'm also loving your primroses, such a cheery greeting on a snowy morning.

My low-carb lifestyle does not allow for your yummy looking lemon bars, but I cook for many others. I will try Ina's recipe for company this weekend for company that arrives tomorrow. Thanks!