Strawberries ~ Pure and Simple

Despite the record setting rainfall and chilly temperatures
Strawberry season is in full swing here
and the berries are large, luscious and sweet.
I have many wonderful recipes that showcase our local berries
and a few of my favorites are
Strawberry Whipped Cream Roll
Strawberry Hazelnut Pavlova
Fresh Strawberry Ice Cream
Strawberry Orange Avocado Salad
Strawberry Cream Tarts
Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble Bars

But, despite how delicious all these recipes are
my favorite way to enjoy these wonderful berries is au naturale
with a bowl of brown sugar and sour cream.
I first had this incredibly delicious dessert years ago at Trader Vic’s in Portland,
 where it was always featured on their Spring menu.
Just dip a Strawberry in a little sour cream,
then sprinkle on a bit of brown sugar.
You have to try this to believe how wonderful the flavors are.
That’s all there is to it.
No fancy cooking skills required.

Comments

1. Allie and Pattie says

Cathy, I have a Pavlova on the menu for a party I'm doing this week- love them! And the brown sugar and sour cream was taught to me by a farmer who lived near us in NY years ago- it's one of my favorite summer snacks. Your pictures are just stunning!
    xoxo pattie

2. SavoringTime in the Kitchen says

I've never had strawberries with brown sugar and sour cream! That sounds wonderful. Beautiful berries and dishes!

No strawberries up here yet – too much rain!
    The Great Dane's Danish family whips together brown sugar and sour cream to serve with strawberries – yummy!

4. Trendsetters says

i love strawberries…what other than this could be easy?…your have some lovely dishes to keep them strawberries

5. BonjourRomance says

Bonjour Cathy,
    What a delicious combination. I've never tried sour cream and brown sugar with strawberries. We're planning a picnic this weekend and I've just added this to the menu. Love these pretty dishes, and your photos look great!
    Happy weekend,
    Mimi

6. Foodessa says

Today…your photos are all I needed to put a smile on my face. It doesn't hurt any that strawberries are the highlight ;o)
    I think we'll be getting some local sweet strawberries soon here in Montreal too.
    Flavourful wishes, Claudia

7. Kathleen says

We had some this weekend! Showed my sis the trick with the straw. She was thrilled…:)
    Great pics, Cathy!

8. Fresh Local and Best says

I've never tried strawberries in this manner. I will have to pick up some sour cream the next time.

9. Jeannie says

Luscious strawberries! I love eating them with just powdered sugar…..if I can get whole of them that is. Love your china!

10. Martha says

Strawberries with sour cream and brown sugar is simply to die for! A favorite way to eat strawberries!

11. A Feast for the Eyes says

Cathy, I just made a Pavlova. However, sour cream and brown sugar has got to be tops on my list on how to enjoy strawberries. Lovely set of dishes, too, my friend.

12. susan says

Cathy-While each those recipes sound decadent the picture and simple sour cream and brown sugar is what is calling to me! I have never done this, but you can bet I will! Thanks!

13. bellini valli says

We always called these Mennonite Strawberries and I agree that they are simple and one of the best. Love your china too:D

14. The Japanese Redneck says

We've been enjoying the fresh strawberries too.

Looks good with the brown sugar and whipped cream. Will have to try them that way.

15. Gail @ Faithfulness Farm says

Gorgeous berries and I am in total agreement…simply served with a little brown sugar and sour cream is PERFECT!! Yummo!! Your serving pieces are also gorgeous :)

Blessings!
    Gail

16. From the Kitchen says

I just heard that tomorrow's farmers' market will have strawberries and blueberries. I think I'll do a combination on the poundcake I have in the freezer.

Have a delicious weekend!

17. Cindy says

Love the simplicity of this recipe. And all these years I've always had sweet cream with my berries. I'll definitely try this.

18. Megan says

There is nothing better then the beauty of a fresh ripe strawberry! Love the simplicity of this post (and your dishes!).

19. Barbara Bakes says

This is one of my favorite desserts when I'm dieting. Quick and easy and healthy and delicious.

20. Mary says

Your photos are wonderful, Cathy and the recipes you chose to showcase are all winners. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings…Mary

21. Sophie says

Your pictures are grand & so inviting too!

I so love all of your tasty strawberry recipes!

MMMMMMMM,..they are surely a real delight!

22. Salsa Verde says

Hi Cathy,
    Amazing photos and your suggestion seems to be delicious. I'm gonna try that for sure!!!
    Hope you have a lovely weekend,
    Lia.

23. Becky says

It is hard to beat fresh strawberries with brown sugar and sour cream. We've been having lovely strawberries here, too. Right now I am waiting on the ones in my strawberry pots to get ripe. Your photos are lovely. They make me wish I could just reach into the screen and pick one up for a bite!

24. Raina says

I love this recipe! Simple and delicious. I would never have though of it. I love serving fruit in the summer, and this will be a great way to serve it:) Thanks! Your pictures are beautiful as always.

25. Barbara says

Perfect, Cathy. My mother in law used to make strawberries romanoff…I adored it. Still have her recipe. Although I must admit, just some brown sugar and sour cream will do it for me!

26. Acorn Cottage says

Hi Cathy,
    The first time I had that was at my brother's engagement party, and it was so good, I couldn't stop eating them! Thanks for the memory, I am going to have to get some fresh strawberries!

Warmly,
    Nancy

27. Foley says

They look so plump and delicious!! Will have to try the cour cream and brown sugar – sounds so simple!
    I copied the cream roll when you posted it for your sons birthday..anxious to try it as soon as the strawberries are ready!
    Love the dishes – makes the strawberries that much better!

28. Taste of Beirut says

When strawberries are good there is nothing better in the world with cream and a bit of sugar; your photos showcase them so well.

29. cindy says

I've never heard of sour ream with brown sugar. Our area uses granulated sugar or confectionary sugar.

This is one I'll have to try for myself.

30. Rettabug says

You are the second person to talk about serving strawberries with brown sugar & sour cream! I had never heard of this combination before. Must be a west coast thing. 😉 I will be trying it very, very soon!

Your radish salad looks just glorious but I don't care for radishes. I may make it just for DH, as he eats them & I'll eat all the other stuff around them. Who knows…maybe I'll learn to appreciate their flavor!

Thanks for sharing!!

31. Jamie says

We have amazing strawberries in our region and it is the height of the season so I am definitely checking out your recipes! Beautiful pictures, Cathy! And I still love strawberries eaten simply with a bit of sugar and whipped cream the best!