Market Notes ~ Memorial Day Weekend at the Farmers Market

by Cathy on May 30, 2010

A patriotic Nutcracker welcomes customers
 at The Bavarian Nut Company’s booth.

Local berries have arrived at the market.  Shortcake, here I come.

Beautiful baguettes remind me of Paris.

Luscious heirloom tomatoes

The most beautiful geraniums I’ve ever seen.

Dozens of booths overflow with spring and summer plants

Begonia baskets.
 I bought one to hang next to my front door.
In a month it will be a solid cascade of color.

I couldn’t resist buying several bunches of these magnificent peonies.
What’s available in your farmers market now?
Being a member of my farmers market family is a very special part of my life.  I’ve made many friends there and this summer have the pleasure of working with my friend, Kim, at The Ungourmet.  She’s a very outgoing and bubbly person and a pleasure to work with.  We even have a few minutes now and then to talk about bloggie stuff.
 In the past several weeks I’ve also met
 Pam at For the Love of Cooking
and Marilyn at Delights of the Heart
 You will find wonderful recipes on Pam’s blog
 and Marilyn is an expert on teas and how to prepare them.
Thanks so much for stopping by to visit.  It’s wonderful to meet some of the amazing bloggers who live in the greater Portland area.  I hope to see you again this summer.

{ 23 comments… read them below or add one }

The Japanese Redneck June 1, 2010 at 2:28 pm

I luv heirloom tomatoes. I would have bought way too many!

Mary June 1, 2010 at 1:03 pm

What fun! Beautiful photos. I always love farmer's market. There's always so much to see and so much to buy. It's good temptation when comes to spending money :D Thanks for sharing. MaryMoh at http://www.keeplearningkeepsmiling.com

Jamie June 1, 2010 at 8:47 am

This market beats my French market hands down! And peonies!!!! My favorite flowers – I got some for mother's day – those are gorgeous! I'm buying local, sweet, plump, ripe gariguette strawberries now every single day!

Kathleen May 31, 2010 at 10:09 pm

I would advise anyone in the area to get nuts at the Bavarian Nut Hut's booth. You will be so delighted!!
Everything looks so good!
I finally have peonies to pick this year!
It has been a very hectic weekend!! I am exhausted..hope yours was wonderful!

Mary May 31, 2010 at 4:00 pm

What wonderful photos, Cathy. The nutcracker is – as my grandson's would say – outstanding. Have a great day. Blessings…Mary

teresa May 31, 2010 at 3:56 pm

how yummy! makes me wish i could go. and how fun to meet so many fellow bloggers!

A Feast for the Eyes May 31, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Farmer's Markets are the perfect excuse to bring a camera. The colors are so vibrant, and I get sensory overload in trying to decide what to buy. I am so thankful that I live where there's a Farmer's Market to choose from just about any day of the week.

From the Kitchen May 31, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Our farmers' market doesn't open until next Saturday. There won't be tomatoes (they can only have homegrown fruits and vegetables–a good thing) until late June here in the midwest. There will be asparagus (it's been cool enough), onions, lettuces, and cherries, cherries, cherries. Flowers will be abundant. Good breads, too! Can't wait!!

Enjoy the rain! It will bring on more good fruits and vegetables.

Barbara May 31, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Marvelous photos of your market, Cathy. And that nutcracker is just perfect for Memorial Day! He made me smile.

Peonies are my favorite flower…I love them in a big glass bowl, falling all over!

Have a lovely holiday!

Nicisme May 31, 2010 at 1:44 pm

What a fabulous Farmers' Market! Lucky you.

Foley May 31, 2010 at 3:38 am

My jaw just drops when I see your Farmer's Market, one disadvantage of being from a small area is not having this type of venue to enjoy.
Love the nutcracker!! Wonderful photos – the flowers are all stunning.

Kate May 31, 2010 at 12:50 am

What a wonderful Farmer's Market! Great pictures. Outstanding tomatoes!

Kathy May 31, 2010 at 12:11 am

Wow! That farmer's market makes ours in Roseburg look like small potatoes. But I did manage to get some deliciously sweet spring greens and a wonderful loaf of bread.

Fresh Local and Best May 30, 2010 at 11:24 pm

I love peonies, and wouldn't have been able to resist purchasing a bunch either. Strawberries are hitting just hitting the market here on the east coast, but I have to admit, they are not as good as the ones on the west coast. I am going to have to try to make it out to Portland one of these days.

My Carolina Kitchen May 30, 2010 at 10:30 pm

Oops, I stopped and drooled at the heirlooms. Too early here, but I can't wait. Happy Memorial Day.
Sam

Raina May 30, 2010 at 9:50 pm

Beautiful post! What an amazing marketplace. I do not have anything quite as nice near me. Love those pink peonies. I have one peonie plant in my garden that is just blooming now..so pretty.

Big Dude May 30, 2010 at 3:36 pm

Sure looks like lots of good stuff.

Allie and Pattie May 30, 2010 at 3:15 pm

Cathy, what a GORGEOUS market! The largest and best one here is quite a hike, but we do have some small local ones that I frequent a couple of times a week. Those tomatoes!!!
xoxo Pattie

Jeannie May 30, 2010 at 3:05 pm

You do have a very nice farmers market! Love the flowers and the baguettes and strawberries!And you met Kim how nice! Hope to meet both of you one day:D

ICook4Fun May 30, 2010 at 2:57 pm

I wish we have this type of farmers market here in PA. I enjoyed going to the one in NY Union Square and also the ones in CA

Pam May 30, 2010 at 2:39 pm

Great post! What a wonderful market! I can't wait until ours open here. Have a wonderful holiday weekend!

Pondside May 30, 2010 at 2:26 pm

What a beautiful market! I've never been to Portland, but when I visit I'll be sure to find the farmers' market. I love the name 'ungourmet' – very clever!

Salsa Verde May 30, 2010 at 2:12 pm

Hi Cathy,
What an amazing post and all those great photos are delightful.
Hope you are having a lovely day,
Lia.