Wolfie’s Shortcakes

by Cathy on June 4, 2009

Photobucket

I realized after years and years of looking for what I consider a proper cake for strawberry shortcake that it wasn’t, after all, a cake I was searching for. There are those who prefer a light spongecake, some like a poundcake texture, and some even choose a slice of angelfood. Not me.

My favorite cake, or more accurately biscuit, is this recipe by Wolfgang Puck that makes the most buttery, flaky, rich base for our wonderful berries that are just now showing up in local markets.

These shortcakes don’t rise much and are a bit on the heavy side, but they are perfect with strawberries because they soak up all the divine juices in the bowl, and some of the whipped cream as well. They’re heavenly with a spoonful of jam instead of the sugared berries if that’s your preference. Once I found this recipe my search for the perfect shortcake was over. So whip up a batch, spoon on the berries and whipped cream, and dig in.

Wolfang Puck’s Shortcakes
  • 2-3/4 cups cake flour
  • 1/4 cup sugar, plus additional to sprinkle on top
  • 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 10 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 1 cup heavy cream, plus additional to brush on top

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment and set aside. In a food processor combine the flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder and salt and pulse to combine. Add the chilled butter and process just until combined. With the motor running add the cream through the feed tube, stopping just before the dough forms a ball.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead, forming a smooth ball. Don’t overwork. Roll the dough out to 3/4 inch thickness and cut into 2-1/2 to 3 inch rounds.

Arrange the biscuits on the prepared tray, brush the tops with cream and sprinkle lightly with sugar. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden and firm to the touch.

Split the biscuits and pile on the berries and whipped cream.

{ 21 comments… read them below or add one }

Lisa June 8, 2009 at 4:23 pm

Sounds like perfect shortcake! I like my Strawberry Shortcake made with sweet biscuits too. The recipe I finally settled on some years ago is actually for scones. They are easy to make, soak up the juice and make enough so that the shortcake can be a whole meal.

Suzy June 8, 2009 at 4:21 pm

I love this kind of shortcake too. I have strawberries just about ready to ripen in my little patch. I'll be trying this recipe!

Deeba @Passionate About Baking June 7, 2009 at 4:00 pm

Just right to soak the juices…sounds like a good shortcrust pastry for berries. YUM!!

Barbara Bakes June 7, 2009 at 3:13 pm

It's been so long since I've had true shortcakes, I really need to give this a try. Looks yummy!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen June 6, 2009 at 12:54 pm

My favorite shortcake is a biscuit texture too. Thank you for this wonderful-sounding recipe – we love strawberry shortcake!

I hope your computer problems get resolved! I was having issues too and just found out it was not my computer but Internet Explorer 8.

noble pig June 6, 2009 at 4:01 am

Dense is perfect this type of recipe. I'll have to give wolfie's a try!

Kathleen June 6, 2009 at 3:31 am

I am sending the lady from Weight Watchers over to admonish you. Just dig right in, LOL..
OK, I don't need much prodding when strawberry shortcake with fresh whipped cream is involved!
How much a qt out by you? Ours are just starting and the first few days they are asking 5.00 for a qt…

Mrs. L June 5, 2009 at 10:51 pm

I think I'm with you on the more "biscuit" type of foundation for my strawberry shortcakes. I'll have to try this recipe.

Lynda June 5, 2009 at 10:22 pm

These bicuits sound so rich and flaky; perfect for some wonderful, fresh berries!

Cathy June 5, 2009 at 8:52 pm

Greetings! Arrgghh!!!I'm having computer troubles again. Thanks for all the comments.

Pam – I'm looking forward to next week. Hope you can make it. If not, I'm there every week.

Joyce – I can understand that a recipe rolled thinner could be called a cookie. These biscuits are crumbly and oh, so good.

Mary, this recipe is very similar to a scone. I like the soakability (?) factor here.

Thanks ever so much for your comments.

teresa June 5, 2009 at 8:19 pm

Ooh, these look so yummy! I love the picture!

Joyce June 5, 2009 at 8:14 pm

I just made a similar recipe today by Martha Stewart but her recipe says cookies and they look like cookies. They taste like a biscuit and the ingredients are almost the same. I have a post ready to go on these next week perhaps. I am still not sure I am sold on her recipe or not? Have you tried her recipe?
Joyce

Lori (All That Splatters) June 5, 2009 at 3:30 pm

I prefer the texture of a biscuit to a cake, as well. Just doesn't seem quite right on spongecake or poundcake!! :D

Thanks for hunting down the perfect recipe for shortcakes. I'll be trying these very soon. Strawberry season is in full swing!

girlichef June 5, 2009 at 12:34 pm

I'll take 'em in any form…but these do sound oh-so-good! Commence tummy growl.

Amy June 5, 2009 at 12:32 pm

Sounds delicious! A must try!!!

La Table De Nana June 5, 2009 at 11:47 am

Must be good if you like them:) And your cute little graduate? If he likes them..:)..

Mary June 5, 2009 at 6:22 am

Cathy, this is a lovely recipe —very much like tea biscuits or scones. I, too, prefer short cakes to serve with berries. They bend to the flavor of the berries rather than fight with them for dominance.

Pam June 5, 2009 at 4:32 am

I love this recipe and can't wait to make it. Strawberry shortcake is my favorite.

I won't be at the farmer's market this weekend but will try to get there next Saturday…looking forward to meeting you!

Kate June 5, 2009 at 2:31 am

I never thought of a biscuit! I have had soggy for so long that I just stopped making strawberry shortcake…it is time to try something new!

Donna-FFW June 5, 2009 at 12:17 am

These look fabulous.. I like them biscuity because it can soak up the juices of the strawberries!

the ungourmet June 4, 2009 at 11:11 pm

I like mine biscuity too! These look great!