We’re having a party…at the Beach

Popcorn and s'mores

What’s more fun than a party at the beach? I love the ocean, the sand, the weather, seagulls, beach walks and my lifetime of family memories. The beach is home to us, a second home anyway, and we visit every chance we get. We do all the usual stuff and go clamming and crabbing whenever the weather and the tides cooperate.

We love, love, love Dungeness crab served any way. Freshly steamed and cracked with lemon and butter is a winner. And so are crab quesadillas. For each quesadilla top a flour tortilla with cooked crab, about 1/4 cup is a nice serving, top with grated pepper jack cheese, chopped cilantro, a tablespoon or two of pico de gallo, and some chilies if you wish. Top with another tortilla, brush with a little oil and cook in a medium hot skillet until nicely browned. Brush second side with oil, flip, and cook until cheese has melted and the tortillas is golden. Serve with sour cream, salsa and guacamole.

Clam Roll

A clam roll anyone? We don’t have lobster here on the Pacific coast but we do have the best clams you will ever find. Razor clams are dug from the Oregon mid-coast to Alaska and are so delicate, sweet and tender that they require only two minutes in the frying pan. For clam rolls I cut the clams into strips, dust with flour, dip in an egg wash, coat with panko, and fry in a hot skillet for one minute on each side. Make sure the pan is hot so the clam strips brown quickly.

Serve with tartar or cocktail sauce and a little lettuce on a toasted hoagie roll.

This is the prized Oregon coast razor clam, an elusive little devil that can feel the vibrations of footsteps as a person approaches their hiding places in the sand. You can tell where they are by a little air bubble that appears as the water recedes in the surf. They can dig to China in about a second so you have to sneak up on them.

We know there’s a clam in there someplace.

The beach is a refuge, a place to relax, contemplate life, plan for the future, imagine great adventures, give thanks for life’s blessings and marvel at the universe. I can leave my problems at home when I smell the salt air and hear the ocean. And a good book and a snack don’t hurt either.

A Darling Baker Event

I hope you enjoyed our little trip to the beach

Comments

1. Kathleen says

Cathy, we should have a CLAM OFF this summer…NY vs Oregon, LOL…We have hard shelled, and steamers, which we call a name I won’t post…:) and sometimes a stray razor..

I go to the beach almost everyday for my walk..well, not when it rains.. I don’t think I could ever live far from the beach…such beauty..I have some pics on my blog today..dreaming of summer!
    I would have loved to be at your beach party, the food looked delicious!

2. Cathy says

Karen – I hope you can visit the Oregon coast. It is so beautiful.

Tartelette – Thanks so much for visiting. I hope you’ll come back again soon.

Kathleen – I agree – let’s do a clam cook off. Wouldn’t that be a fun summer event. I’m so envious that you are so close to the beach.

3. Butterball says

I want to go clamming! Also want one of those clam rolls. They brought back mememories of going to Howard Johnson’s when I was a child, but yours look way better!

4. Suzy says

What a fun post Cathy! I would love to try clamming. I don’t go down to the water nearly enough for how close I live to it! All of your food looks delish.

5. Foley says

Cathy, what a great post. I just bought a container of lump crabment and the crab quesadillas look like a perfect way to use it!

As far as clamming – you and Kathleen clam and I’ll be the taste tester !!

6. Acorn Cottage says

Can’t wait to try some of your dishes. Love your blog! Spending a day at the beach with you was nice considering it just snowed here in Kansas last night!

7. Lori says

Cathy, I enjoyed your trip to the beach VERY much! I love clam strips but have to admit I’ve never had them made with fresh clam. :( And your quesadillas sound amazing, too. Wow!

8. Paula says

I LOVED your trip to the beach! Can you believe in all the time I’ve lived here in Oregon that I’ve never gone clamming?! I would love to have your clam roll (or a lobster roll!), and those quesadillas look wonderful. I love the reflections in the picture of you guys clamming. All in all, a GREAT getaway. *blissful sigh*

9. Proud Italian Cook says

My 2 favorite things, smell the salt air, and hear the ocean!!
    Can I come to your beach party?
    I miss the coast!

10. La Table De Nana says

Good Morning Cathy..

I have some news from one of my daughters:)

The Eiffel Tower for sure (although I’m sure that was already in their plans!), and I would personally recommend they see the Musée d’Orsée over the Louvre, especially if they don`t have a ton of time. The Musée d’Orsée is much smaller and has a gorgeous rooftop terrasse, and I found the art much nicer, whereas the Louvre is just humongous and overwhelming. The view from the top of the Arc de Triomphe is spectacular, and the walk up the spiral staircase is a great workout! How is the weather this time of year, do they get snow in Paris ??? They have a neat carousel and Ferris wheel, can`t remember where though, I’ll check. Even just walking around and looking at the architecture is pretty impressive. Melanie had bought me a fabulous book that we used every single day, a Cartoville book of Paris, in which every quartier had it`s own section with the spots to see and an easy to read and follow map of the “arrondissement” If they have an English
    equivalent I would definitely recommend they get one!

11. Cathy says

Thanks you so much Monique. I appreciate the info. Today I’m going to go hunting for a new suitcase. The choices are endless. I feel a headache coming on.

12. Lisa says

I hope to be there soon! Glad you had a great time at the beach. I’m never dug for clams but you make it sound like a great adventure. Maybe I should try it some time.

13. Rosabela says

Hi Cathy,

I just read about your trip to the beach and it brought back memories. My dad used to take us all the time as kids. Too bad they don’t have nice beaches around Regensburg.

rosa

14. MaryBeth says

All of the food looks so darn good, I really do love smores, thanks for stopping by our site, it’s always great to find a new friend in the neighborhood.